The aim of the mandatory IMSBC Code is to facilitate the safe stowage and shipment of solid bulk cargoes by providing information on the dangers associated with the shipment of certain types of cargo and instructions on the appropriate procedures to be adopted.
The IMSBC Code may be applied now on a voluntary basis, and the new edition is recommended reading for all concerned with the standards to be applied in the safe stowage and shipment of solid bulk cargoes, excluding grain.
The IMSBC Code includes:
- Fully updated individual schedules for solid bulk cargoes
- New individual schedules for such cargoes as direct reduced iron fines, spent cathodes and granulated tyre rubber
- New provisions about sulphur
- References to the most recent SOLAS amendments
- Relevant updated information from the 2008 edition of the International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code
This publication presents additional information that supplements the IMSBC Code, including the Code of Practice for the Safe Loading and Unloading of Bulk Carriers (BLU Code) and Recommendations on the safe use of pesticides in ships applicable to the fumigation of cargo holds.